Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Worksheet-Free Wednesday + Amerikid Idol

As in my previous post, the past few weeks we have been doing Worksheet-Free Wednesdays! I got the idea from Elizabeth Hall in Kickin' it in Kindergarten. We love Worksheet-free Wednesday. Now don't let the title fool you, we aren't just having a free day and not learning... We are still learning just like we would any other day! We just aren't using a pencil! We are engaging in all hands-on activities. It's so much fun! Here's a few pics of some of the activities we did today!



This week we are reading Hooway for Wodney Wat! Such a cute story! The kids took turns putting the details in the story in order.. This is great for comprehension! 

The kiddos also used their own Wodney Wat retelling cards to put the story in order independently... I didn't count this as a worksheet!


We are currently working on a_e words with that lazy e! I rolled out butcher paper and we practiced spelling words and putting some of these a_e words in sentences. 




 
We also did our Daily Fix-it on the Smart Board.


For Math, they got with their math partners and worked together to practice Area. They did this as a pair. 

 
And then the grand finale of the day.. Amerikid Idol. The First Grade Parade mentioned in a post that she has done this before. I'm not even sure how she did but I liked the idea. I gave it my own spin and went all out with golden tickets, contestant bibs, and judges. We had three judges; myself, our librarian, and the secretary of the school. I sat in the middle so I guess you can call me JLo! ;) The kids partnered up this morning and chose what sight words they wanted to sing... Then this afternoon I called them up and they performed for us. They were all rock stars so everyone got a golden ticket to Hollywood a.k.a. an ice cream on Friday. It was so much fun! We will for sure be doing it again!

 Judges table
 



 
We're going to Hollywood!!!!



Products I use:
https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Daily-Fix-it-Capitalization-and-Punctuation-1683669
https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Guiding-Readers-February-NO-PREP-ELA-Unit-for-K-1-1655503
https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Guiding-Kinders-Math-Workshop-Unit-5-Common-Core-Aligned--1070475
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE it! I am so glad you all are incorporating work-sheet free Wednesday! My kids love it as well. Love your blog! <3

    ReplyDelete