Monday, June 22, 2015

TPT Seller Challenge {Week 2 Dare to Dream}

I am loving this TPT Seller Challenge linky! I've already gotten so many great tips from fellow bloggers! It's been very helpful! This week is all about dreaming big... It's a time to reflect and think about what you want out of TPT, blogging, etc. Here's a reason why I started blogging and selling on TPT... When I do something I put my whole heart into it! Whether it's decorating my classroom, doing a science experiment with my class, or planning a lesson, I always go above and beyond. It's not because I'm trying to be an "over-achiever", I just really like my job! When I first learned about TpT I was in college. Right away I knew it was something I wanted to do because I love creating things! Especially in those college classes where you had to create games and activities for reading or math. I loved it! I live in Oklahoma, and last time I checked we were 48th or 49th in the country for teacher pay rank. Teacher's do not get paid for their creativity that's for sure. That's why I love TPT... Oklahoma might not appreciate the time and energy spent creating something for students, but other teachers do, and that's why TPT is such a great place for teachers. It should be called Teachers Supporting Teachers, because really that's what it is. We are willing to buy from fellow teachers because we know the time and effort put into products. We know our money isn't being wasted to someone who hasn't taught a day in their life and is charging ridiculous amounts for curriculum materials. Not all companies are bad, but you know where I'm coming from! That stuff is expensive and is often times lacking! Now, blogging.... Again, I started following teacher blogs in college. I think the first blogs I followed were Mrs. Jumps Class, The First Grade Parade, and First Grader At Last. I fell in love. I just loved what these teachers were doing. I loved the collaboration, and the passion for teaching they shared through blogging.  What I love about blogging and seeing what other teachers do around the globe is getting new ideas. It's free professional development if you ask me! I've learned more from fellow teacher-bloggers than anything else. So anyway, now that you know why TPT and blogging is a dream come true for me already, let's look at bigger dreams.....

 
Teachers get a bad rep for being on the bottom when it comes to pay. You kind of get pitied by others that are equally successful but have a better paycheck. Like, yuck a teacher salary, no thanks! I don't want that.. I wouldn't trade my job for anything. I went to school to be a teacher because I wanted to be a teacher! I knew what kind of pay I would get. It wasn't a big newsflash when I got my first job or anything. How much I love my job though, makes up for the pay. As my TPT store grows I have been dreaming big with it.
 
First of all, I love to travel. I would live in a shack the rest of my life if it meant I could see the world. I think life is short. There's so much of this world I want to see and experience. I don't want my "teacher salary" to be a reason I can't. I'm hoping that TpT allows me to travel with my husband and future family. Traveling is so good for the soul.
 
Secondly, family.. Kind of a broad topic. When my husband and I start our family, I want to be able to give my children wonderful memories like going to the beach,  Disneyworld, and getting to go to whatever college they want. Maybe I could even get to be a stay-at-home mom... Though right now I have no desire to leave the classroom, but if I had babies that would be an awesome opportunity to get to stay with them while they're little. They're only little once....
 
Last, opportunities to broaden my career. I want to be able to present at conferences one day, or visit other schools.. I don't want to limit myself. I'm hoping TPT and blogging will get me out there and help present opportunities to do different things. I think trying new things keeps you motivated!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Jen you have great dreams. I sure wish they had included a magic wand with this goal. How fun it would be if we could just wave it and get exactly what we want! I am like you. I have always worked with kids and some how in the back of my mind, I knew that my future would be with children. Keep on dreaming. You never know what will happen!
    Patty
    Second In Line

    ReplyDelete